Summer is a prime time for outdoor get-togethers, picnics, and cook-outs, but desserts are often heavy on the stomach, making them less than ideal for consumption in the summer heat. Soothe everyone’s sweet tooth and nourish bodies after a meal of grilled meats and veggies with this light and healthy dessert option that not only looks happily patriotic, but also refreshes the body and taste buds. This cake will serve approximately 12 people making it perfect for small get-togethers.
- 1 large watermelon
- Whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
- To begin, cut the rounded ends off of your watermelon.
- Cut off the rind of the watermelon, so that you are left with a cylinder shape of only the fruity center of the watermelon. Pat the watermelon with wipes to remove excess moisture and sit it up on one flat end.
- Frost the sides and top of the watermelon with whipped cream. Finally, decorate your cake by lightly pressing the almonds to the side of the frosted watermelon and covering the top with the fresh berries or other fruit of your choice.
- Keep the cake chilled until ready to serve, then cut slices just like you would with any other cake.